GRE® vs. GMAT®
Which should I take?
GRE vs. GMAT: the question is, what route will you take? Graduate school or Business school? As you decide which test to take—GRE or GMAT–here’s what you need to know.
Find your prep
Pick your course option
GRE Prep Course
Brand new course, now with more live GRE instruction than anyone else:
- Unlimited access to The GRE Channel - a Kaplan exclusive. Get 35 hours of live, highly-interactive unique instruction on everything from the basics to advanced topics taught live and online by Kaplan’s highest rated faculty
- The most live instruction available, covering all the content and skills on the GRE
- Taking a simulated GRE at an actual testing facility—a Kaplan exclusive.
- Dynamic, classroom sessions featuring comprehensive instruction by expert teachers
- 5,000+ practice questions, including Qbank to create custom quizzes
- 7 full-length computer-based practice tests
- More than 180 hours of online instruction and practice
- Convenient class times and locations
- Free make-up sessions: live classroom sessions or self-paced
- The following books: GRE Premier: Course Book Edition, GRE Math Workbook, GRE Verbal Workbook, and GRE Pocket Reference
- An exclusive flashcard app for on-the-go study, available for iOS and Android™ devices*
GRE Prep PLUS Course
Get the full GRE Prep course and student materials, PLUS additional coaching and resources including:
- 3 hours of one-on-one time, live online with a GRE expert (over $400 value): Personalized coaching, review and analysis of practice test results, assistance building a study plan, and guidance on the graduate school application process.
- GRE Math Foundations - Self-Paced ($299 value): A collection of online videos and practice questions designed to build a strong foundation in the basic math skills essential for success on the GRE (on demand lessons & online workshops, and 400+ practice questions).
- GRE Advanced Math - Self-Paced ($299 value): In-depth online course covering the most advanced math topics you’ll see on the GRE (Instructional videos that break down each topic to make the difficult math easy to understand, 200+ high-difficulty practice questions, and immediate feedback after practice quizzes and lessons).
Deciding between GRE or GMAT
Of course, the ultimate determiner is whether the MBA programs to which you’re applying accept both tests or indicate a preference for one.
The GRE and GMAT are, in many ways, nearly identical:
- Both involve early-high-school-level math.
- Both rely heavily on reading comprehension.
- Both require essay-writing at the beginning of the test.