The correct answer is C.
The nurse cares for the client taking long term prednisone therapy. Which will the nurse expect to observe?
The argument assumes that
- 1. Blood glucose 58 mg/dL.
- 2. Serum sodium 132 mEq/L.
- 3. Serum potassium 3.2 mEq/L.
- 4. Serum albumin 3.9 g/dL.
- 1. Hyperglycemia expected due to change in carbohydrate metabolism.
- 2. Hypernatremia expected due to mineralocorticoid action.
- 3. CORRECT - Hypokalemia expected due to increased potassium excretion and sodium retention. Prednisone is an intermediate acting glucocorticoid used for treatment of inflammatory and immunologic conditions. Side effects include hyperglycemia, gastric and duodenal ulcers, muscle wasting, fluid retention, potassium excretion, and moon face. Nursing responsibilities include assessing for diabetes and ulcers, monitoring blood pressure and laboratory values, and checking for infections.
- 4. No relationship between prednisone and serum albumin levels.