Our goal is to help you find the information you need as quickly as possible.
Please read the following frequently asked questions, which address most of our customers' concerns. If you don't find the information you need, fill out our Tech Support Request Form. A technical support representative will respond within 48 hours.
Questions About Online Resources
- I can't open my syllabus and the rest of my online resources.
- I'm getting the following error message when I try to access my online course: "There was an error processing your request."
- I can't complete the membership profile because I do not see "Which best describes you?"
- I'm working on a workshop and there is no "submit" button.
- My kaptest.com homepage doesn't show the class that I'm taking with Kaplan.
- The window for my online resources (syllabus, workshop, quiz, QuizBank) is too big or too small and I can't scroll up or down.
- My browser freezes when I try to open a Kaplan PDF test or explanations.
- I'm using a Mac computer and I'm prompted to enter a password to open PDF files.
- Why am I directed to the Member Log-in page when I try to access my course syllabus?
- Can my CAT exams be reset?
- When I try to access my course syllabus, why do I still get prompted to download Flash Player even though I already installed it?
- I am repeating the course and my syllabus displays the scores from my previous course.
- I'm seeing red Xs where the video should be when I access the lessons on demand.
- I have Real Player installed and see the play controls (Play, rewind, fast forward) but the lessons on demand do not load.
- I'm getting the following error message when I try to watch lessons on demand: "Connection to the server could not be established. You may be experiencing network problems."
- I'm trying to register my book to access the online resources kaptest.com, but the serial number doesn't work.
- My online resources load extremely slowly.
- I completed assignments online but my syllabus is not checking them off.
- I am using AOL and I am not able to access my online assets.
- How do I install the Kaplan software that was included in my book?
- How do I use the internet features in the software?
- How do I view explanations to my answers for each CAT exam section on my GMAT or GRE CD-ROM?
- I get a runtime 9 error message when I try to load the Kaplan CD-ROM.
- I'm getting one of the following error messages when I try to install my software: "Corrupt installation detected" or "Access denied."
- How do I use SmartGrid?
- When I start a test I can see the answer selections (ABCD), but I can't see the questions. How do I display the test questions?
- What are the technical requirements for Kaplan CD-ROMs?
Questions About Online Resourcs
We use pop-up windows to create a better user experience. Some internet service providers, browsers, and firewalls (including AOL, Netscape, MSN, Safari, and Firefox) have components that block pop-up windows from opening, which will interfere with many of our online resources. If you're using any pop-up blocking software, simply disable pop-up blocking while using Kaplan online assets. (Note that our courses use multiple domains to serve your course materials.)
Try holding down the Ctrl key while clicking on an online assignment in your syllabus. This will force the browser to display pop-up windows. If this does not resolve the issue, please try the suggestions below:
Turn off Internet Explorer's pop-up blocker:
- From Internet Explorer's Tools menu, choose Pop-up Blocker.
- Click "Turn Off Pop-up Blocker."
Disable all third-party toolbars in Internet Explorer:
- From Internet Explorer's Tools menu, choose Internet Options.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Under Browsing, un-check the box next to "Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart) check-box" and then click OK.
- Close all Internet Explorer windows and restart your computer.
Disable pop-up blockers in the System Tray, located at the bottom right corner of the screen (next to the time):
- Right-click on the pop-up blocker icon.
- Click 'Exit,' 'Quit,' or 'Disable.'
Turn off Firefox's pop-up blocker:
- From Firefox's Tools menu, choose Options.
- Click the Content tab.
- Un-check the box next to "Block Popup Windows" and then click OK.
I'm getting the following error message when I try to access my online course: "There was an error processing your request."
"There was an error processing your request" is a general Kaplan error message that's displayed whenever the online resources are not registered properly. In most cases, this is temporary error that is resolved within 24 hours. However, if the error does not go away after this period, please fill out a Tech Support Request Form including the following information so that we can resolve it for you:
- Name of the assignment(s) displaying the error
- Indication of whether or not you were able to access the online asset before
- Open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, and select Internet Options.
- From the Internet Options window, choose the Security tab.
- In the Security window, choose Custom Level.
- In the Settings window, scroll down to Active scripting. Check Enable. Then click OK.
- You will get a warning message. Click "Yes."
- Click OK in the Security window.
- Close the browser and try again.
If you continue to experience challenges with the membership profile, please fill out a Tech Support Request Form including the following information:
- Area of Interest that you selected
- Internet browser you're using
- Kaptest.com username
Some of our workshops are interactive and use the sound device in your computer to display content. If your computer's sound isn't working properly, you may not be able to view the "submit" button. To determine whether or not your audio is working properly, try playing regular music files. If you don't hear any sound, your sound device may not be functioning correctly. Please contact your computer manufacturer for assistance.
If you do hear sound, please turn off any pop-up blocker that you may have on. For instructions, see "I can't open my syllabus and the rest of my online resources."
This happens when the incorrect "Area of Interest" is chosen in your membership profile. This can be fixed by modifying your profile: Click the "Edit My Profile" link on your kaptest.com homepage and select an "Area of Interest" that best matches the class that you are taking with us. Save the changes and then return to your page. Your homepage will now display the proper information.
The window for my online resources (syllabus, workshop, quiz, QuizBank) is too big or too small and I can't scroll up or down.
If you find that text or images on your computer are too small or too big, we recommend that you adjust your screen resolution (which is also referred to as screen area):
- Right click on a blank area of your desktop.
- Select Properties from the menu.
- Choose the Settings tab from the dialog box.
- Adjust the slider in the screen area to change the resolution. We recommend 1024 x 768. Click OK.
- Windows will give you a message telling you it will try to resize your desktop. Click OK.
Note: The size of your monitor and the type of video card you have will determine how high you can set your resolution, and the quality of the images after it is changed. A screen area of 800 x 600 is standard for 15" or 17" monitors. 19" or larger monitors can go higher.
In some cases Adobe reader will not open properly causing your browser to freeze. To correct this, please try the suggestions below:
Disable the Adobe Reader browser plug-in and force the browser to open the Adobe Reader program as a new window:
- Open the Adobe Reader program and go to the "Edit -> Preferences" dialog.
- Select the "Internet" category and uncheck "Display PDF in browser."
- You'll receive a prompt that will ask you to restart your computer. We recommend that you close all open applications and to save any work before restarting your computer.
- After the restart, please try to access the tests again.
Open the PDF document within Adobe reader:
- Select the test you want to view and right click on the Adobe reader icon (test or explanations).
- Select "Save target as" and save the file to your computer.
- Open Adobe reader. From the File menu, choose Open.
- Select the document and click "Open."
If you are having constant problems with Adobe reader, such as your browser hanging or crashing after viewing a PDF file, or if the Adobe Reader plug-in loads very slowly, make sure you are using the latest version of Adobe Reader. You can download the latest version from www.adobe.com.
The Mac OS X system allows users to view and print PDF files using Preview. Users running OS X10.3.3 or earlier might get a prompt from Preview asking for a password even if the document is not password-protected. To correct this, we recommend making Adobe reader the default PDF viewer:
- Select the PDF file in the Finder.
- From the File menu, select Get Info.
- In the Info window, select "Open with."
- Set the pop-up menu to Adobe Reader.
- Click the "Change All" button that's immediately below the pop-up menu.
If you click the Go button to access your syllabus and the Member Log-in page appears instead, then either the privacy (cookie control) setting in your browser is set too high or cookies are being blocked/removed by your security program. Please log out of your kaptest.com account. Then try the suggestions below.
Change Privacy settings in Internet Explorer:
- From Internet Explorer's Tools menu, choose Internet Options.
- Click the Privacy tab.
- Click the Default button so the privacy level is set to Medium.
- Click OK.
Disable Privacy Services in MacAfee Security Center (if you have it installed):
- Right-click on the MacAfee Security icon in the bottom-right corner of your screen (near the time).
- Point to MacAfee Privacy Service and then click "Sign Out."
Turn off Cookie Control in Zone Alarm Pro (if you have it installed):
- Double-click on the Zone Alarm Pro icon in the bottom-right corner of your screen near the time.
- Click the Privacy panel and then click the Main tab.
- Move the slider for Cookie Control to off.
Yes, your tests can be reset. However, this process requires up to 72 business hours to complete.
Please note that questions you initially encountered may appear again in future CAT tests. Once your CAT test is reset, there will be no record of those questions being completed. If you still want to have your CAT(s) reset please fill out a Tech Support Request Form including the following information:
- CAT(s) you want reset
- Confirmation that you understand that you may see repeated questions in future CAT exams.
When I try to access my course syllabus, why do I still get prompted to download Flash Player even though I already installed it?
In order to install the Adobe Flash Player, you need to be an administrator of your computer. Users with limited rights to the computer will not be able to install the Flash Player.
To see if you are logged on to Windows as an administrator, please follow the steps below:
- From your Windows taskbar, click "Start" and "Run."
- Type "control userpasswords2" into the text box and click OK.
- A User Accounts dialog box will open. If the dialog box has two tabs, you are logged in as an administrator. If the dialog box doesn't have any tabs and prompts you for a password, you are not logged on as an administrator.
If you'd like to have administrative rights on your computer, please contact your system administrator. Once you have administrative access, follow the instructions below to install Flash Player:
- Go to www.adobe.com/go/full_flashplayer_win_ie.
- A dialog box will appear asking you if you wish to run or save the file. Click Save.
- Another dialog box will appear. Save to your Desktop. Then click Save.
- After the download is completed, click Close and then close all IE windows.
- Double-click on the Flash installer on your Desktop called install_flash_player_active_x.
- A dialog box will ask you if you wish to run the file. Click Run.
- Another dialog box will ask you if you wish to install the Flash 9 Active X Control. Click Yes.
- Flash will then install. It will let you know when the installation is complete. Then click OK.
- Restart your computer.
As you have noticed, your previous course's scores are displayed on your current syllabus. Our flash syllabus is currently designed to display all scores whether from the current or from the previous enrollment. There is no option to either include or exclude prior performance. However, you can retake all the assignments, and their new scores and completion dates will replace the existing ones.
Here are the directions for downloading and installing RealPlayer v.10:
- Go to http://forms.real.com/real/player/blackjack.html
- Select the word Real Player 10.5 under Windows NT4.0 / 98 /ME / XP / 2000.
- You will then be taken to the download page. Select one of the Download options � they all say Seattle, WA.
- Program will ask you to RUN or Save, select RUN.
- Program will ask you to Run or SAVE a second time, select RUN.
- The program will download and then prepare to install. Next, click "Accept" at the enrollment agreement and then click "Next" to install this program.
- When the installation is complete, click "Finish."
- The toolbar that is offered in the next window is unnecessary. As well as the option to install Firefox, select Do Not Install. Uncheck the checkbox and click "Continue."
- Choose 'Basic Setup' and then click "Continue."
- At the registration page, click "Cancel". Then click "Exit."
- RealPlayer should now open and play a "welcome" message. Make sure you are able to hear it.
- After you are able to hear the welcome message, close real player, open a brand new Internet Window.
- Type in www.kaptest.com, select Sign In at the top right hand side of the page and enter user name and password.
- Click on one of your videos; please take note of the information bar at the top of the page. It will state "This website wants to run the following add-ons..."
- Click on the information bar and select Run, select Run a second time when asked. Your video will load and start playing automatically.
You will now be able to view your online videos.
I have Real Player installed and see the play controls (Play, rewind, fast forward) but the lessons on demand do not load.
Occasionally RealPlayer will not install certain codecs that are needed in order to play lessons on demand. While re-installing RealPlayer will most likely correct the issue, we recommend installing just the codecs:
- Open RealPlayer.
- From the Tools menu, select "Check for Updates." It will come up with a number of plug-ins and add-ons.
- We recommend that you select every "multimedia" plug-in.
- After selecting all "multimedia" plug-ins click "install" and close RealPlayer upon completion of the installation.
- Log back on to your Kaplan home page and try accessing the lessons on demand.
I'm getting the following error message when I try to watch lessons on demand: "Connection to the server could not be established. You may be experiencing network problems."
This error message is generally displayed if lessons on demand are being accessed from a corporate network, public library, school computer lab, or a personal computer with security applications running (Firewall). We recommend that you contact your network administrator and provide the details below to correct this issue. Once the information is added to the Firewall configuration you'll be able to access the lessons on demand.
Information to provide network administrator:
Hosts: streaming.kaptest.com, streaming.kaplan.com
IP Address: 22.214.171.124
I'm trying to register my book to access the online resources kaptest.com, but the serial number doesn't work.
When entering your book's serial number, please be sure to use all capital letters and include the dashes. If you still receive an error message, please fill out a Tech Support Request Form including the following information so we can generate a new serial number for you:
- The full title of the book
- The serial number
- The ISBN 10 number, located on the back outside cover, near the barcode
Your web browser will store a list of websites you've visited and places you've gone in a history file in your computer. When the history folder (temporary internet files folder) becomes large, it will slow down your browser. To improve the performance of your web browser please clear your temporary internet files.
For Internet Explorer 5 and above, follow these directions to clear out temporary files and delete cookies:
- Open Internet Explorer.
- From the Tools menu, choose Internet Options.
- On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files.
- You may also want to check the box "Delete all offline content."
- Click OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the temporary internet files.
- You can now click "Delete Cookies" and then click OK to delete cookies that websites have placed on your hard drive.
This usually happens when you complete a workshop without clicking "close" (in the top right-hand corner of the last page of the workshop). To ensure the workshop is marked as completed on the syllabus, please make sure to click "close" after you've completed it. Even though most assignments are saved instantly, occasionally some may take longer to get updated.
Your information will most likely be up-to-date the next time you log in to your syllabus. If the work completed does not get recorded after several days please fill out a Tech Support Request Form including the following information and we'll update it for you:
- Assignment(s) not checking off and session where they can be found
- Indication of whether or not this is the first time experiencing this
- Kaptest.com user name
Our online resources are not currently compatible with AOL. If you are using AOL as your internet service provider, please minimize the main AOL window and access your student homepage using one of the following web browsers: Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari.
Questions About Kaplan Software
- Start Windows� 98SE, NT 4.0 SP6, 2000, ME or XP.
- Insert the Kaplan software CD into the CD-ROM drive.
- The Setup wizard will automatically pop up.
- If the Setup wizard does not open, from the Start Menu select "Run" and type "d: setup.exe" (where "d" is your CD-ROM drive).
- Press OK and follow the prompts.
- Start Macintosh� OS 8.6, OS9, OS X.
- Insert the CD-ROM into the drive.
- Double-click the Kaplan install icon.
- You will be presented with a
dialog box that will let you choose Standard Install or Custom
- If you choose Standard Install, the program will automatically install the program and update your files if necessary.
- If you choose Custom Install, you can choose where to install the different components of the program and whether to overwrite existing versions of files.
- When installation is complete, double-click the Kaplan icon to begin the program.
If you have internet access, you can use the internet features of our Kaplan software. When installing on Windows, choose "Netscape Navigator" or "Internet Explorer" as your web browser of choice. Then you can access websites for colleges and universities, or the award-winning Kaplan website, kaptest.com from within the application.
For Macintosh users, you can choose "Netscape Navigator" or "Internet Explorer" as your web browser from within the program's User Preferences feature under the Options menu.
In order to advance beyond the explanations for the first essay question, please pull down from "Explanations" in the tool bar at the top of your screen. (Though this tool bar appears grey and inactive, it is functional). You can move forward through the test explanations by checking subsequent sections of the test in this pull-down menu.
Please note that if you are using a non-English version of Windows, your software will not run properly. Our software was designed to be run with the English version of Windows.
Please try to reinstall the CD-ROM. Also check your language settings on your computer by going to Regional Settings in the control panel, select the advanced tab and change the language to English.
I'm getting one of the following error messages when I try to install my software: "Corrupt installation detected" or "Access denied."
It is common to receive either of these messages if:
- You do not have enough rights to make changes to the OS.
- You are trying to install the software to a work computer. In most cases workstations will be restricted and will not let the user make changes to the computer.
- A security program is running and is preventing the user from installing the Kaplan software.
If you using the CD on a work computer you will need to get administrator rights (or you can ask your network administrator to install the software for you). If you are using a home computer running Windows XP or Windows 2000 in this case you will need to log into the main account for the computer.
SmartGrid is available for the Diagnostic and Full-Length Tests. If you select to take one of these tests, a pop-up box prompts you with the question: "Do you wish to take the test using SmartGrid?" If you select "Yes," another prompt appears: "Turn to the appropriate page in your test booklet." In SmartGrid mode, the questions will not appear on the screen. Questions can be found in a folder entitled, "LSATTEST" on your LSAT CD-ROM. The test questions are in .PDF format, which can be easily printed. Once you've done so, you can follow along by reading the test questions on the booklet page and entering your answers onscreen in the SmartGrid.
If you take a test using SmartGrid, you can choose your answer by clicking on the answer bubble, note your confidence level by checking the appropriate box, and mark a question by clicking on the "Mark" box.
To eliminate answer choices using SmartGrid, use the right mouse button.
Grid-in questions appear in SmartGrid as boxes with a triangle next to them. Click on the triangle and a Grid-in window will appear; click on the appropriate bubbles and click on OK when finished.
Once you've completed a test, click "Finish." You will then be prompted to see your test results. Selecting "Yes" will take you to the Analysis screen, where you can view your results. You can also view your question answers and explanations by clicking "Explain Answers" at the top of the Analysis screen.
When I start a test I can see the answer selections (ABCD), but I can't see the questions. How do I display the test questions?
When starting a test, be sure to click "No" when prompted to use the SmartGrid option and the questions will be displayed on the screen.
For a list of technical requirements, visit our software requirements page.
Technical support is available only to students who are enrolled in classroom-based and online courses. Support is available during the following times:
- Monday to Thursday 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM EST
- Friday 9:00 AM - 7:45 PM EST
- Saturday and Sunday 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM EST
Technical support may be obtained by calling 1-800-527-8378 in the USA and Canada or 1-212-997-5883 from outside the USA or Canada. For greater convenience, try our Online Technical Support Form.