Looking for a different state?
Lock in this price now with only a $250 registration fee.*
Watch our lectures in a classroom (where available) or live stream them from anywhere - you decide. With access to both options, you can go to a class one day and stay home the next. And if you miss a live session, catch up with on demand videos you can start—and stop—at your convenience.
Lock in this price now with only a $250 registration fee.*
Want to study at your own pace? Watch our recorded lectures you can start—and stop—at your convenience. As an added bonus, this course includes a weekly interactive LIVE stream session with your professor.
Is your firm paying for your course? Get the most out of your prep with everything Kaplan has to offer. Study live in class, live stream our lectures at home and access them anytime with our on-demand recordings. Prepare for the Bar in a second state at no additional cost. Plus, you’ll receive a set of our MBE flashcards.
In case you were wondering:
87% of Kaplan first-time students pass the Uniform Bar Exam*. Even better, first-time students who do 75% of the assigned practice have a pass rate* of 93%
*Pass rates based on responses to a survey of all first-time takers from accredited ABA law schools who are JD graduates and prepared for the July 2017 Bar examination with Kaplan Bar Review. "Assigned practice" means MBE questions and essays assigned by Kaplan in its Bar Review course.
Detailed Explanations for Every Question
Every course comes loaded with 4,000 MBE practice questions—but that's only the start. Detailed explanations for every question help you understand the concepts. Access practice questions on your desktop, or download our top-rated mobile app to review on-the-go, between classes, and before bed.
Live Stream from Anywhere
Get all of the benefits of a live classroom in the location of your choice. Have a question during class? Raise a virtual hand. Kaplan technology lets you communicate with your teacher and fellow students and get quick, real-time answers. Miss a class? Catch up with on demand lectures you can start and stop anytime.
Previously Tested Essay Bank
Search by topic, and practice writing essay questions that have all been tested on previous Bar exams*. Then, get quality feedback from a licensed attorney as many times as you want with our Unlimited Essay Grading feature. It's been shown that Kaplan students who submit more essays see an improvement in their scores.
*In states where released.
Your Personalized Review
Log into your dashboard and get a strengths and weaknesses guide based on your performance. If you miss a session, email our attorneys 24/7, and get the answers and support you need.
Money Back Guarantee†
The promise is simple: Complete the basic work recommended by Kaplan Bar Review and, in return, we will guarantee that you'll pass the Bar—or your money back. Read the details.
Washington Bar Exam Information
About the Bar Exam
Washington has adopted the Uniform Bar Exam (UBE). It is a 2-day exam, and takes place on the last Tuesday and Wednesday of February and July. The Multistate Essay Exam and the Multistate Performance Tests are administered on Tuesday; the Multistate Bar Exam (MBE) is administered on Wednesday. Applicants must also complete the separate Washington Law Component Test within 40 months of passing the UBE.
Washington State Bar Association
1325 Fourth Ave., Suite 600
Seattle, WA 98101-2539
Tel: (206) 727-8209
Bar Exam Format
The Washington Bar Exam is a 2-day exam.
- Day 1: AM: Two Multistate Performance Tests (MPTs) PM: Six Multistate Essay Exam (MEE) essays.
- Day 2: 200-question, multiple-choice Multistate Bar Exam (MBE).
The Washington UBE tests: Business Associations (Agency and Partnership; Corporations and Limited Liability Companies), Civil Procedure, Conflict of Laws, Constitutional Law, Contracts, Criminal Law and Procedure, Evidence, Family Law, Real Property, Torts, Trusts and Estates (Decedents' Estates; Trusts and Future Interests), and Uniform Commercial Code (Secured Transactions).
Bar Exam Dates
- February 26-27, 2019
- July 30-31, 2019
- February 25-26, 2020
- July 28-29, 2020
The Washington Bar Exam will require a minimum scaled combined score of 270 points out of 400 points to pass. The MBE is weighted at 50% of the score, the Essays are weighted at 30%, and the MPTs are weighted at 20%.
A minimum passing scaled score is 85 or higher. MPRE Transfer Policy: Washington accepts the transfer of MPRE scaled score from a concurrent exam only.
Qualifications for Admission by Motion in Washington State:
- Lawyers admitted to the practice of law in other states or territories of the United States or the District of Columbia are not required to sit for the lawyer bar examination if they present satisfactory proof of admission and current good standing in that jurisdiction, together with proof of active legal experience for at least three of the past five years immediately preceding the filing of the application.
- Washington Law Component Test
- In order to be licensed by the Washington Supreme Court to practice law as a lawyer in Washington, you must successfully pass the Washington Law Component (WLC). The purpose of the WLC is to educate new lawyers in Washington about areas of law that are unique to Washington law or that are substantially different from the law tested on the Uniform Bar Exam. The WLC minimum pass score is 80%. The WLC includes 15 outlines on various subjects of law specific to Washington. There are 60 multiple-choice questions to be answered in four hours, with access to the materials while taking the test.
- The WLC is self-administered by applicants and is available to applicants through the online admissions site after filing the application and paying the application fee.
- Lawyer Bar Exam applicants must pass the WLC within 40 months of passing the Uniform Bar Exam (UBE).
Over 4,000 practice questions with detailed answers that help you learn
All of the benefits of a live classroom without the commute
Recorded videos you can start and stop when you're ready to study
Questions? Email our attorneys, and you'll get an answer within 48 hours
Pass the Bar Guaranteed or your money back†
That’s confidence in both of us. For full eligibility requirements, visit kaptest.com/bar-exam/guarantee.