Educators for Educators Series: Supporting EAL Learners in the Classroom
by Dawn Marie Catlin, EdD (c), MSN, RN, Faculty Nurse Consultant | May 26, 2021
It is critical for us as nursing educators to stay up-to-date on trends and innovations in both nursing and teaching so that we can not only prepare our students to be successful on their board exams, but also in their careers in healthcare. As part of Kaplan’s commitment to providing comprehensive resources and support for educators, we were proud to partner with the World Health Organization and Nursing Now to provide mentorship opportunities for a select group of nurse educators during the 2020 Year of the Nurse Nightingale Challenge. In 2021, we are excited to share these resources with you in the form of a monthly “Educators for Educators” video series. This month, we are pleased to present, “Supporting EAL (English as an Additional Language) Learners in the Classroom” with Dawn Catlin MSN, RN, Faculty Nurse Consultant.
By the end of this presentation the learner will be able to:
- Identify challenges EAL learners face in the classroom
- Describe evidenced based strategies to support the EAL learner in the classroom
- Develop an action plan for EAL learner success in the classroom.
If there you have any questions about EAL learners or anything else relating to nursing education, please don’t hesitate to contact your regional representative or to request more information on our website.
Stay tuned for more Kaplan Nursing Educators for Educators videos coming soon!
- BLOG: "Nightingale Challenge Meeting: Supporting EAL Learners in the Classroom" by Dawn Marie Catlin, EdD (c), MSN, RN, Faculty Nurse Consultant
- BLOG: "Nightingale Challenge Meeting: Exploring Learning Science and Gen Z Nursing Students" by Audrey S. Schou, MSN, RN, Kaplan Nursing School Consultant & Electra Allen, MSN, RN, CPN
- BLOG: "Nightingale Challenge Meeting: Early Remediation Leads to Student Success" by Karen Haidemenos, MSN, RN
NCLEX® is a registered trademark of the National Council of State Boards of Nursing, Inc. Test names are the property of the respective trademark holders, none of whom endorse or are affiliated with Kaplan.
Dawn Catlin, MSN, RN. Received her Master of Science in Nursing with an Education emphasis from Kaplan University, Iowa and her Bachelor of Science in Nursing from Millikin University in Illinois.Dawn has extensive experience in clinical practice including community public health, neonatal ICU, home care case management, and intermediate nursing care. She transitioned to nursing education in 2009 and taught in both a practical and associates degree hybrid program. In 2012, Dawn joined the Nurse Consultant team at Kaplan where she continues to cover the Midwest region and works as Kaplan’s International expert. Dawn resides in Iowa with her husband of 20+ years and 3 children.
See more posts by Dawn Marie Catlin, EdD (c), MSN, RN, Faculty Nurse Consultant